Every time the Vega team sits down to work on the system, we discover something new about how it works, most of which make us go “oooooh!” in delight. 🙂 This is one of the fun parts of having external developers working closely, but not necessarily side by side with you while a project is being built–we are finding all sorts of coolness happening with the code! (And, tbh, also sometimes a little confusion that we’re sorting through and asking questions of the developers…as is typical for this kind of software development!)
One interesting point we discovered last week in doing a trial run of the Borrowers & Lenders venue mentioned in an earlier post is that, right now, we’re just cutting and pasting HTML journal output from B&L into the Vega studio. Normally, Vega would be able to take that HTML and parse it into structured text, keeping some formatting and ditching all the cruff code. But since B&L is composed in a form of XML markup (similar to TEI but not quite) that Vega doesn’t totally recognize, we lose things like most formatting and paragraph breaks, but things like links get retained.
In trying to troubleshoot, we copy and pasted into Atom (a text editor) and then into Vega. Then, it retains the paragraph breaks but loses the styling and links (of course; to be expected after stripping those things due to the text editor). Next, we tried pasting the content from B&L into Word, and then copied and pasted the Word content into Vega. And, dammit, it worked perfectly! lol. That transfer retained the styles, links, and paragraph breaks. (It loses the copied footnotes in all instances, so that’s something we’ll have to work on within the system.)
I am super grumpy that Word is the solution here, lol, but it does work towards getting us an end-product that is the most usable.
Right now our goal is just to test this copy/paste workflow and to set up how journal review and production works in the system, which Tekedra Lofton, the Vega Team’s practicum student from WSU’s School of Information Science, is helping with. This process will also help us write some more robust documentation for Vega.